Saturday, May 28, 2011

Race Prep

Believe it or not you don't just need a good pair of running shoes to run. There is actually quite a bit of race prep that happens before a race.  Not only is there the training side of things (which is very important), but there are also the hotels to book, registrations to make, course maps to review, etc.

Tonight was filled with the joy of surfing the web to find a hotel close to the start/finish of the Detroit marathon. Even though I am looking for my hotel almost 5 months before the race, the "good" hotels are already booked. Mine isnt to far away from the finish line. Heck, even if I had to walk another mile to get back to the hotel, who cares...I just ran 26.

I also registered for the USAF half marathon in Sept. My goal is to finish under 2 hours. I'm not looking to crush my previous best because I have the full marathon just a month later. While examining the course map, I realized there are no hydration stations between miles 1.5 and 5. Then the next one isnt until about mile 9.25.

Maybe I was spoiled in Cleveland where they had liquids about every 1.25 miles. But this sounds to be more spread out. Which to me means, either I need to get a hydration belt, or fight the crowds for water. As much as I dislike the looks of hydration belts, I may use one for this race. Before I get one, I will need to double check the course map for Detroit. Originally, I was just going to carry some enery GU with me. But that will have to change if there are only a couple places for liquids.

So for everyone that thinks runners just show up and run, think again. Dont worry, there will be another blog closer to race day with all of the junk we pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment