Saturday, June 4, 2011

Why We Run When It Hurts

How does that old saying go? Isn't it something like, "If it hurts, don't do it"? That is probably true most of the time, but not always. As many of you already know, I have been trying to get my right hip back to full strength. I injured it in the end of March and it just isn't getting better. I'm scheduled to see Dr. Bright on Tuesday.

So again, if I'm trying to get the hip back to 100% why would I run? Well the answer is quite simple. Ever have your car make that "clank" sound, but once you get to the dealership it stops? Of course, as soon as you leave it starts up again. The same concept hold true here. I want Dr. Bright to be able to easily find the issue. I'm intentionally running today and expect my hip to flair up.

There is also the desire to get back out and run. Depending on the injury, a runner may not be able to run days, weeks, or even months. Believe it or not, when we cant get out to run, we go a little stir crazy! Not to mention, if we have a goal of meeting a certain time, we will do anything we can to get it. If that means feeling pain for the last 8 miles or just trying to keep the pace for another 1/4 mile, we will do it.

This is a short post today. Expect more to come by Tuesday when I see Dr. Bright. Get out and run (if it isn't to hot and humid where you are)  I hope that gives you a little bit of insight as to why when it hurts why we keep going!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I am with ya!! I hope you can get to the bottom of it! If anyone can help, it is Dr. B....he is a great dr!

    Kim B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Karl. And good luck with the doctor. Look forward to having you run with us when you feel better and your schedule allows.

    ReplyDelete