Thursday, June 23, 2011

Staying On Schedule

Quite often you will hear runners talk about how far they "need" or "have" to run on a specific day. We do this so we can reach our specific goals. After getting cleared by the doctor and starting physical therapy, I needed to get back on track. As much as I want to go out and run 5 miles every night, I know my body isn't ready for it yet.

My schedule for this week is consistent but not huge in miles on a daily basis. Sunday I was supposed to run 5 miles, but I ran/walked a 5k with my daughters instead. On Monday, I was scheduled to run 3 but because I did the 3 miles on Sunday I did 5. Tuesday was scheduled to be a rest day, but I decided to do 4 miles on a trail with hills - in a thunderstorm no less. Wednesday I rested since I didn't on Tuesday. Today, I'm going to run that trail again and get my 4 miles in. Friday, same thing, unless I get my 4 miles in at the Relay For Life. Sunday is 6 miles.  Each week the miles will increase. As we get closer to October my long runs will be double digits.

I am making myself run on the hills. Hills are my weakness (a realization from Chicago). I don't expect any significant hills in my next race (Air Force Marathon in Fairborn, Ohio), however, I know Detroit will have the climb over the bridge to Canada and we will have a steep uphill coming up the exit of the tunnel from Canada.  The hills will also help with the endurance. It isn't always a fun, but I remind myself hills are my friend during training.

Every runner will have their own training plan. The miles or type of run may change based on personal goals but one thing will always hold true - we have a schedule and will do everything we can to stick to it.

Until the next update - stay on your schedule and keep on running.

No comments:

Post a Comment